|Water System Chlorination and Certification (BS8558)|
In order to safeguard water quality and public health, it is required that private supply pipes are chlorinated and tested before a connection is allowed to the water main. Pipework chlorination is essential to ensure suitability and safety for the provision of drinking water.
Each chlorination commences with flushing of the system with clean drinking water in order to remove any debris and providing a clean base for the chlorination to take place.
Following the initial flush through, the system is filled to capacity with a chlorinated solution (minimum 50mg/l strength) which will remain for a minimum of 1 hour. After this contact period has been achieved, Water Direct technicians will neutralise the chlorinated solution and dispose of it safely, flushing the system through again with clean water to remove any residual traces of chlorine.
The system is then again filled to capacity with clean drinking water, sitting once more for a minimum contact period of 1 hour. This final flushing water will then be sampled for chemical and microbiological analysis and the samples submitted to one of our laboratory partners to be analysed using UKAS approved methods.
Following receipt of the analysis from the laboratories, Water Direct provides a certificate of chlorination, along with a full analytical report for each sample. These results and certificates are usually provided within 7 days of the work taking place providing assurance that the system is safe for use in the supply of wholesome drinking water. This evidence can be provided to the incumbent water utility to enable a connection.
|Why Choose Water Direct for Your Chlorination Needs|
- Our technicians are fully trained and hold the National Water Hygiene Scheme Card (accredited by the Energy & Utility Skills Register)
- Our practices conform to the British Standard BS8558
- We have dedicated vehicles, equipment and dosing systems
- Available anywhere in the UK
|When is a Chlorination Needed?|
- Prior to connection of new pipe work to the mains supply – otherwise water utilities have the right to refuse connection
- If there is any suspected contamination to the supply
- If the pipe work or welfare units have not been used for an extended period of time
- Any new build properties
- Installation or maintenance of sprinkler systems
Requirements for chlorination and specific tests needed can vary depending on your utility company. You should always check with your utility what is required and the level of certification expected before the chlorination goes ahead.
|What we Routinely Test for:|
- E. coli
- Total Coliforms
- Total Viable Colony Counts
- Chlorine residuals
|Additional Tailored Testing Services Available on Request:|
- Taste and Odour (Quantitative or Qualitative)
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
|Request a Quote for Chlorination|
To request a quote or for further information on our range of chlorination services, please call us on 0345 345 1725, email email@example.com or request a quote using the form below